Roadworks strategies to keep jobs rolling
Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said he had recently convened the first in a series of high level meetings with civil contractors on the issue.
“Nothing is off the table in our response to this crisis,” he said.
“We are now actively considering all options, including fast-tracking projects, increasing investment, and focusing on projects with a higher jobs-to-dollar ratio.
“Feedback from industry included that getting smaller projects going would be helpful to more civil contractors, as they would be easier to roll out and support more jobs. This is consistent with what we have been discussing with the Federal Government.”
Treasury modelling indicates that maintenance projects such as resealing and rehabilitation works create double the jobs per-million compared to new capital projects.
Mr Bailey said he was also focused on preparing for the recovery phase of the pandemic.
“We must lay the groundwork so that when we are past the worst, we can mobilise projects to stimulate our economy and create jobs for Queenslanders,” he said.
“We’ve already got hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of projects underway right now, with much bigger ones to hit the ground running in coming months.
“We can keep these projects moving because last year we worked with the Australian Government to fast-track $1.6 billion in funding for shovel-ready projects.”
• $104 million Cairns Southern Access upgrade from Kate Street to Aumuller Street – 113 jobs
• $514 million Haughton River Floodplain project at Giru, 40km south of Townsville – 544 jobs
• $497 million Mackay Ring Road – 534 jobs
• $121 million Rockhampton Northern Access Upgrade – 260 jobs
• $75 million Capricorn Highway duplication, Gracemere – 187 jobs
• $812 million Bruce Highway upgrade from Caloundra Road to the Sunshine Motorway – 680 jobs
• $400 million Ipswich Motorway upgrade from Rocklea to Darra – 471 jobs
• $195 million M1/M3 merge upgrade – 257 jobs
• $152 million Smithfield Bypass in Cairns – 115 jobs
• $197.5 million M1 upgrade from Mudgeeraba to Varsity Lakes – 257 jobs
• $80 million Sumners Road interchange – 105 jobs
• Warrego Highway upgrade at the Chinchilla open level crossing
• $1 billion Bruce Highway upgrade Cooroy to Curra Section D– 576 jobs
• $1 billion M1 upgrade from Varsity Lakes to Tugun near the NSW border – 837 jobs
• $662 million Bruce Highway upgrade from Caboolture to Steve Irwin Way – 664 jobs
• $481 million Bruce Highway upgrade from Edmonton to Gordonvale in Cairns – 466 jobs
• $749 million M1 and busway upgrade at Logan – 721 jobs
• $712 million Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 3A – 760 jobs
• $550 million Sunshine Coast rail upgrade – 333 jobs
• $301 million Bruce Highway upgrade at Maroochydore Road and Mons Road interchanges – 382 jobs
• $110 million Mackay Northern Access upgrade – 154 jobs
• $150 million Bruce Highway interchange upgrade at Deception Bay – 270 jobs
• $44.5 million Springfield Central park ‘n’ ride upgrade – 44 jobs
Plans to build a 105km underground pipeline from the Burdekin River to Bowen have been boosted with $5 million in federal funding for a detailed busin...