Regional focus in major roadworks roll-out
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said Queenslanders would also witness a number of projects completed in 2021 while works ramp up on other projects like the $480 million Bruce Highway upgrade south of Cairns.
“Queenslanders last year backed our plan for economic recovery – and we’re backing them with the start of a record four-year, $26.9 billion roads and transport budget that will create more than 23,600 jobs.
“From sealing our western roads and investing our regional ports to getting started on the second M1 and building on our 33 Bruce Highway upgrades underway right now – there will be plenty of hi-vis around.
Mr Bailey said regional Queensland was the biggest focus of the government’s four-year road and transport budget with 2021 kicking off $17.8 billion in investment focussed on communities outside the south-east corner to support 16,180 jobs.
“That means starting projects like the Walkerston Bypass near Mackay, Townsville Ring Road Stage 5 and Bruce Highway bridge upgrade near Maryborough, and getting on with the job of our real $12.6 billion Bruce Highway plan and half-a-billion investment to bolster the North West supply chain.
“Jobs will flow from projects wrapping up this year including the $514.3 million Bruce Highway upgrade south of Townsville to a pipeline of projects that’ll connect our communities and provide families with incomes as we continue to navigate COVID-19.”
Major projects set to start major construction in 2021 include:
- $1.5 billion Coomera Connector (also known as the Second M1)
- $709 million Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 3
- $662 million Bruce Highway – Caboolture to Sunshine Coast upgrade
- $230 million Townsville Ring Road Stage 5
- $196 million M1 – Exit 41 upgrade
- $178 million Beams Road Level Crossing removal
- $150 million Walkerston Bypass
- $107 million Bruce Highway – Townsville Northern Access Intersections upgrade
- $103 million Bruce Highway – Saltwater Creek Bridge upgrade
- $75 million Mount Lindesay Highway – Stoney Camp Road to Chambers Flat Road
Major projects continuing construction in 2021 include:
- $5.4 billion Cross River Rail
- $1 billion Gympie Bypass
- $1 billion M1 – Varsity Lakes to Tugun upgrade
- $749 million M1 – Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill upgrade
- $480 million Bruce Highway – Edmonton to Gordonvale upgrade
- $360 million Mount Isa Line upgrades
- $335 million Bruce Highway – Maroochydore Road and Mons Road Interchanges upgrades
- $237.5 million Cape York Regional Package Stage 2
- $193 million Port of Townsville Channel upgrade
- $120 million Bruce Highway – Mackay Northern Access Upgrade
Major projects finishing in 2021 include:
- $932 million Bruce Highway – Caloundra Road to Sunshine Motorway upgrade
- $514.3 million Bruce Highway – Haughton River Floodplain upgrade
- $400 million Ipswich Motorway – Rocklea to Darra upgrade
- $194 million Bruce Highway – Rockhampton Northern Access upgrade
- $164 million Smithfield Bypass (pictured below)
- $123.7 million Bruce Highway – Kate Street to Aumuller Street upgrade
- $80 million Sumners Road Interchange upgrade
- $75 million Capricorn Highway duplication
New Zealand-based Chatham Rock Phosphate has made a $12.3 million deal to acquire the Korella phosphate mine, 150km south-east of Mount Isa.The compan...