Moranbah North re-entered in first step towards restart
Resources Safety & Health Queensland (RSHQ) has approved the re-entry, which is the first step towards resuming mining operations at the Anglo American site.
Chief executive officer of Anglo American’s metallurgical coal business, Tyler Mitchelson, said the Moranbah North re-entry team had safely entered the mine to undertake safety and compliance inspections, and restore operating systems.
“Re-entry had been delayed due to the accumulation of water in a roadway, which needed to be lowered to restore ventilation underground,” he said.
“This has now been addressed and our team can continue taking steps to get Moranbah North back up and running.
“Our processes worked to safely remove people when an issue was detected in February and, since then, we have worked to review our risk assessments and safety systems and invested in additional monitoring bore holes and other measures.
“We are continuing to engage with our workforce and their representatives throughout the re-entry process and a comprehensive risk assessment for re-entry was completed with a cross-section of the workforce.”
Operations at Moranbah North Mine were suspended on February 20 following the identification of a coal heating issue.
At that time workers were withdrawn from the underground coal mine when mine management identified carbon monoxide and ethylene gas levels in the gas monitoring system, pointing to potential spontaneous heating in the longwall panel.
Anglo American said it expected operations to restart during May.
Plans to build a 105km underground pipeline from the Burdekin River to Bowen have been boosted with $5 million in federal funding for a detailed busin...