Moranbah North back in business
Mine owner Anglo American said also that mining development activities at the Grosvenor mine had safely resumed as part of a staged approach to restarting longwall mining operations later this year.
Operations at Moranbah North Mine were suspended on February 20 following the identification of a coal heating issue, while Grosvenor went offline after a blast injured five men in May last year.
Chief executive officer of Anglo American’s Metallurgical Coal business, Tyler Mitchelson, said the milestones in their return to production were an important step.
“I would like to thank our workforces at Moranbah North and Grosvenor mines for their patience and dedication in actioning a range of measures to ensure a safe return to mining activities,” he said.
“We will continue our ambitious program of work in the automation, remote operation and the use of data science areas to deliver on further step changes in safety improvement in underground mining.”
The Queensland Coal Mining Board of Inquiry established after last year’s Grosvenor mine blast recently provided Part II of its report to Resources Minister Scott Stewart.
This sets out the Board’s findings and recommendations on the cause of the serious accident at Grosvenor mine and 27 methane exceedance high potential incidents in the lead-up to that event.
Plans to build a 105km underground pipeline from the Burdekin River to Bowen have been boosted with $5 million in federal funding for a detailed busin...