DriveIT NQ construction underway, creating 50 jobs
Member for Herbert Phillip Thompson said construction on Stage 1 of DriveIT NQ in Calcium was excellent news for the region.
“This is much-needed construction activity supporting 50 jobs at a time when our community really needs them,” Mr Thompson said.
“But this project is about so much more than creating jobs during construction – DriveIT NQ will provide the latest in driver safety training as well as a place for motorsport enthusiasts to do what they love.”
Stage 1 has been made possible through $12m worth of federal funding and will see the entrance road, site access and the driver training pad completed.
“The road safety aspect of this project is paramount and that’s why it’s being completed first,” Mr Thompson said.
“The driver training pad will be the largest on the east coast of Australia for its purpose and will allow heavy vehicle rollover training – inducing a rollover and helping teach truck drivers how to safely deal with such a situation.
“I know the team has already received interest from the Queensland Police Service for the use of the facility to train their recruits which will save them having to travel to the south-east corner.”
DriveIT NQ CEO Pat Driscoll said the driver education pad would also allow for some motorsports activities.
“The people of Townsville won’t have to wait much longer to get their engines revving out here at what will become one of our city’s most famous attractions,” he said.
“After so long in the planning it’s a fantastic feeling to be standing here today and seeing our community’s dream starting to become a reality."
Stage 1 facts and figures:
- BMD have been awarded the civil contract for the first stage of the project
- This includes the entrance road, site access and the driver training pad
- Storm water infrastructure and road pavement will also be included
- 50 jobs will be supported over the first stage of construction expected to last 5 months
- An administration building/classroom is on site and will also be used for the construction team
- The Driver Education pad will be 6 acres of a large vehicle manoeuvring area / skid pan. This large concrete pad will also allow for some motorsports.
- Gravel for this stage of the work will be provided by local supplier HYTEC.
IMAGE: Earthworks have started at the DriveIT NQ facility at Calcium west of Townsville.