Cairns floats the boat for Defence maintenance
It is the first of several major maintenance projects coming up over the next two years, according to Defence Industry Minister Melissa Price.
“Thales Australia will continue to partner with local Australian businesses to maintain this important capability for the Navy while growing the local industry workforce,” Ms Price said.
“The Morrison Government is committed to finding new opportunities to support local Cairns jobs and businesses in our defence industry.”
Federal Member for Leichhardt, Warren Entsch said the HMAS Armidale project was conducted at the Norship’s shipyards and supported about 100 local jobs.
“HMAS Armidale’s docking and maintenance period required significant technical expertise provided by eleven local Cairns suppliers delivering over 200 crucial tasks during the project. This compliments the significant work undertaken by Navy’s Fleet Support Unit and the ship’s crew,” Mr Entsch said.
“With a substantial number of local companies qualified to provide expertise for later services this is a great example of how capable our local defence industry is, and the diverse range of companies taking up opportunities in the defence supply chain.”
Other than Norship, local suppliers involved were:
- Alpha Cool (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning works);
- Electrotech (electronics, radar and communications systems);
- Kelly’s Australia (ultra high pressure water blasting);
- Northern Waters (potable water systems);
- Pasma (specialist marine electronics repairs);
- Royal Wolf (container rental);
- Tinus Electrical (catering equipment);
- TQN (hydraulic systems);
- Trinity Fire (fire control and gas monitoring); and
- Far North Fabrication and G.A. Glanville (hull repairs and maintenance).
HMAS Armidale and her 12 sister Armidale Class Patrol Boats are used by the Royal Australian Navy to support Operation Sovereign Borders.
The Ville Resort-Casino in Townsville has unveiled plans for a $7 million redevelopment, with Prime acting as principal contractor.Chief executive off...